Monday 10 December 2012

THE BREAK-UP SONG OF MRS J ALFRED PRUFROCK

 
I don’t understand Italian and I'm not into the Michelangelos of this world, despite the fact others will always talk about them.  This is all so sad and predictable.
                                                                                                                                    
Well, the mermaids will sing for you, my darling, because you’re a worthy man, just not mine anymore.  You were always so afraid to squeeze the universe into a ball, to ask me some overwhelming question, to get to know who I really was.  You took me at face value, accepted my moods and hoped I would stay.  All those restaurants, coffee houses, spoons, Premier Inns, drunken arguments ... Yes, I did fix you with my eyes and see you pinned there, helpless, not knowing what to say to make it all better and I didn't bother to help you.  You never did fight hard enough for me and I dared to eat an apple, to think forbidden thoughts, God help me.  I’m so sorry.
I have swept my coat from the eternal footman and given him such a look that his face froze mid-snicker.  He won’t gossip about you and me anymore.
Then I’ve walked out before the music ended gone back in the house again and left without sitting down first walked under a ladder in the street oh dear it’s going to rain and I’ll get wet because I left the umbrella in our living room open I have disturbed the universe with complete lack of punctuation.
Now I will cross the road purposefully in the thick sleepy fog, I’m confident nothing is coming.  I will walk into the morning of the new day, my face prepared for the puzzled faces I will meet, alone without a safety net.  My love ...

No comments:

Post a Comment