Saturday 29 December 2012

ROBIN HOOD'S BAY

Based on a true story and dedicated to my Grandfather

Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, has to be you, must get away, house is like prison.  Eight mouths to feed and Constance looking at me like that all the time.  Too much pressure.  Never bargained for it.  Family was wealthy, until Black Thursday 1929.  Wasn’t fair, wasn’t supposed to live like this, to work for a living.

Ruby my salvation, going to get away, make an honest woman of her, can’t be fun for her being twenty one and pregnant ... just need the money.  All favours are called in, borrowed from everyone and somehow it’s all disappeared (again).  Someone always wants feeding or shoes or clothes ... and people are asking for their money back.  THERE IS NO MONEY!  OK, been fluttering on the horses and playing a few games of poker, but Constance should really stop looking at me like that, really should.  Trying to win cash back and next bet is always the one that’s going to come through ...

Looking at register at work, enough in there, enough to go, take Ruby north to Robin Hoods Bay, marry her and escape, really escape.  Get away from Constance’s sad eyes, from the screaming brats I’ve fathered.  Will make a new start – with Ruby and her sleek dark hair and porcelain skin ...  can go tonight, make a run for it.

Well, ran for it and married her, love of my life, my Ruby, my beautiful girl.  Caught me, didn’t they?  Constance’s brothers.  Found us, came with Police, real prison now for theft and bigamy.  Constance said she’d take in Ruby if her parents wouldn’t, but parents did, so won’t see her again.  What a saint Constance is, standing by me no matter what, offering to look after my girl.  Someone will bail them out of my debts if her brothers haven’t already.

After prison, must go home to brats and Constance’s unending, undeserved support and love.  To gambling, to debts and sudden house moves, to affairs and guilt and arguments, that will all creep up in a summer’s day heart attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment