Thursday 22 August 2013

WAIT

“Wait for me, Rose. We know where I’m going is dangerous and there’s terrible risk, but wait. I will try to email, but I won’t always be able to. You know that I could be shot, taken captive or become the victim of a roadside bomb. It could happen at any time, you may be driving to work, seeing your friends or talking on the phone to your mother. Don’t let the worry cause you to question – is he still alive? I am coming home.

“I love you, Rose - your bright hair, the swing of your hips when you dance and the way laughter brightens your eyes. When I’m gone, move, play and laugh as you have while I’ve been by your side. I want to think of you unchanged, unspoilt by this, as just the way you are now.

“When you hear word of my disappearance and you put your hand over your mouth, your body bent over with stress, please don’t stop being you. Don’t let the fear turn your heart bitter, wipe the smile from your face or dim your eyes. Know this and know it steadfastly. I am coming home, so wait.

“When you don’t hear anything for days, there are no emails and no phone calls, nothing but silence. When your friends and family are gently trying to tell you I may not be returning. Don’t even begin to despair. Wait, because I am coming home.

“When they tell you of the bullet riddled body, that they are so very sorry, that there was nothing anyone could have done. When your tears are streaming down your face and your heart is closed and consumed with sorrow, open it again and wait. I am coming home.

“For our love is eternal, our passion indestructible and this bond between us cannot be severed. Know this with certainty and wait. I love you, Rose. I am coming home.”

(With thanks to Konstantin Simonov)

No comments:

Post a Comment