Thursday 1 August 2013

TRAINS IN WINTER

When I was a kid I used to live near a railway.  For some reason, I used to feel a sense of fate whenever I heard the trains passing on a still winter’s night.

I used to lie there and wonder who the people on these late night trains were.  In my mind’s eye, I could see the sallow skinned teenagers with their speakers, their street music, the cider cans in the fingers of the boys and the hoop earrings on the hard faced girls.  Their noise would disturb the exhausted professional who having worked late and, not ready to face home, had stopped for a gin and tonic and another and another, until the last train was called.  I also imagined a high class crowd on their way back from a night out, the women in cocktail dresses, the men in designer jeans and shirts.  They’d be buzzing from their night out, telling jokes, maybe planning to go somewhere for a nightcap.  In contrast would be the nurse going to his nightshift.  As he listened to tunes with closed eyes, he’d be worrying about who was going to come into A&E and desperately hoping that tonight at least, no-one would insult him or spit on him.

Perhaps I saw in my reverie, the woman sitting on a window seat, staring out at the blackness with an enigmatic Mona Lisa smile.  Every now and then she checks her reflection in a little mirror.  She sucks on a mint.  Her eyes are deep with racing thoughts, her red tipped fingers are fidgeting, her feet encased in long boots.  She is protected from the cold by a long coat.  I can see her now, getting up eagerly as soon as the station is called.  She passes the boisterous teenagers, the tired professional, the revellers and the anxious nurse, some of them look up, others do not notice.  No-one watches as she alights onto the platform.  There’s a man waiting for her at the other side of the barriers, leaning against the wall smiling broadly.  He takes his hands from his pockets and holds out his arms as she runs to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment