Monday 12 August 2013

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

“Belle, I think it’s time for happily ever after.  Will you move in with me?” the handsome Prince asked.
“Oh, Adam!  Yes!” replied Belle.
Prince Adam spared no expense decorating their room in his lavish castle, her wardrobe was full of gowns and her dresser packed with jewellery and perfume.
“You’re so beautiful,” he told her, “please ask the servants to make coffee.”
Belle couldn’t find anyone in the kitchen, so she made Prince Adam coffee herself and took it to him.  He received it with pleasure and suggested they dine out; “You must wear the blue dress,” he stated, “it’ll bring out the colour of your eyes.”

Often the Prince asked Belle to get the servants to do this or that.  He passed his time in the study eating sandwiches, drinking coffee and doing his princely duties.  He told Belle it was very important he should not be disturbed.

One day, feeling lonely Belle took Prince Adam coffee instead of sending a servant; “Can we do something together today?” she asked.
Adam looked up with an unfamiliar expression that altered his face, his eyes were red rimmed, his nose a little pinched; “I told you not to disturb me!”
“But I bought you ...”
“Did I ask for coffee?”
“No ...”
“Out you go!” he pointed to the door.

Belle left in fear that she was in trouble.  When Adam came to dine with her later, he behaved as if nothing had happened.  She wasn’t sure if it was the light, but he looked older, haggard.
“That dress is too frilly,” he snapped, “no dinner for you until you put something sensible on.”
Belle rushed to obey.  They ate dinner in silence, she was afraid to speak in case she annoyed him.
“Bring me coffee,” he demanded when the servants had gone to bed, “not that instant shit.  I want filtered.  Oh, and you went out this afternoon.  I’d prefer if you didn’t, I might need you.”
“I went to see my sisters.”
“What did you talk about?”
“How ... happy I am.”
He sneered as if he didn’t believe her and this time she really noticed that something had changed, his shoulders were hunched, eyes hooded, the lips she had kissed thinner and the teeth they drew back to reveal seemed sharper.
“What about my coffee?” he yelled.
Belle returned with his coffee just as fast as she could.
“Not quick enough,” he snapped, “go to bed.  I’ll drink alone.”
“I haven’t seen you all ...”
The look he gave her was full of anger and resentment.
“You’ve changed!” she cried in despair, “you look ...”
He stood up; “Like what?”
She stared at his belly, was it bigger?  The hairs on his arm were thick almost like fur and his face was unshaven.  His eyes glowed red.  “Like a beast,” she answered.
He laughed sarcastically; “This is the real me, love.  Go to bed, I’ll join you soon.  Put something sexy on.”

No comments:

Post a Comment