Sunday 7 July 2013

THE MAZE

“Hello, gorgeous!  Where are you?”
“Hello, my lovely!  I’m walking back to the hotel.”
“Big night out?  Are you drunk?”
“No, sweetheart, I’m not drunk.  Where are you?”
“I’m still in the maze.”
“What?  Still!  For God’s sake, I’d have thought you’d have found your way out by now.”
“It’s been trickier than you’d think.”
“But it’s been days!  And, honey, this hotel charges £200 a night!  I can’t wait forever.”
“Oh my love, please don’t go ...”
“Really, sweetheart, it’s time we sorted this out together.  I’m coming into the maze to find you.”
“No!  You mustn’t!  I’ve told you before, this is something I’ve got to work through on my own.  Besides, you don’t understand what it’s like in here.  It’s bad, it’s really dangerous.  Please, please, please don’t come in!  You sound out of breath ...”
“I’m on my way, I’m running to you.”
“No, darling, please don’t, please, please don’t!  Darling, I really think that I’m nearly out of here ...”
“You said that yesterday ...”
“Yes, but I’m convinced I’m right today and – and if I find my way out, you and I won’t be apart anymore.  It’s been so good of you to wait for me really it has.  All I’m asking, my angel, is for you to wait just a little bit longer ...”
“I’m sorry, but you’re all I’ve ever wanted and I’ve waited long enough ...”
“Well, there’s no need to wait anymore, my darling sweetheart, love of my life, I’ve found my way out!”
“You’re out!  That’s amazing!”
“Yes!  Where are you?”
“I’m uh, I’m in the maze.”
“What?!”
“It doesn’t matter, honey, I’ll just turn round and – oh – where’s the entrance?”
“The entrance disappears.  You have to find your way through.  Oh my God, darling why did you go in?  You’ve no idea how dangerous it is ...”
“Don’t cry for God’s sake, how hard can this be?  You survived in here and you’re lovely.  Oh, there you are ...”
“What?”
"I can see you, you’re still in the maze.”
“I can assure you I’m not.”
“But I can see you!  Honey, come here!”
“Darling, that’s not me.  For God’s sake, don’t go near it, don’t go near it!”
“It is you and I’m holding you in my arms!  The question I’m asking now is, who am I talking to?”
“Darling, it’s me, speaking to you.  The person you’re holding is not me, it is not me!”
“But it ... oh God, oh God!  It really isn’t you, is it?  Oh Jesus Christ ...!  Oh fucking hell! ... Help! ...”
“Darling ... darling ... Are you OK? ... Are you there, my love?  Please! ... Please talk to me!”

No comments:

Post a Comment