Friday 10 May 2013

ELFRIDA THE BEAUTIFUL


I am Elfrida, daughter of Ordgar, Earl of Devonshire.  I was roaming free in the gardens of our castle, when a servant interrupted; Mother meant to speak to me.  I ran eagerly into her morning room, for she was full of stories of handsome princes rescuing princesses in dragon guarded towers.  I will never forget what she said; “Elfrida, you are beautiful.  Nobles will want to marry you, they may even fight for you.  You must love whoever wins.”
“And if I don’t?”
“A knight has armour to protect him from injury and death.  Your armour must be kindness, affection and obedience to this man, even if these things be not true.  Dark things happen to maids who do not love.”  She had heard that Earl Aetholdwold, best friend of the King, was coming.  It was time I put my dreams of handsome princes away.

Earl Aetholdwold looked upon me once and did not speak to me.  He discussed my dowry with my father.  The following Friday, we were married in a Church on Ordgar’s land.  That night Aetholdwold came to my bed chamber and I pretended to love him just as my mother advised.  Afterwards, I believe he took solace in my arms, that he liked it when I stroked his hair and let him rest his head upon my shoulder.

Aetholdwold had deceived everyone; the King had sent him to look upon me, trusting his best friend’s judgement.  Aetholdwold’s message said I was ugly, but it had not taken King Edgar long to hear this was a lie and that Aetholdwold had married me himself.  He intercepted us on our journey through Hampshire.  I wish I could say the King himself fought for me, but his soldiers did.  Aetholdwold, who had the night before, rested his head upon my shoulder and murmured words of love, was slain.  I was claimed by King Edgar.

King Edgar looked upon me but did not speak to me.  He sent word to my father informing him I was a widow yet he intended to marry me.  I had been going to Winchester with Aetholdwold, but I arrived there with King Edgar.  The following Friday, we were married at Old Minster.  That night Edgar came to my bed chamber and I pretended to love him just as my mother advised.  Afterwards, I believe he took solace in my arms, that he liked it when I stroked his hair and let him rest his head upon my shoulder.

I am Elfrida, wife of King Edgar the Peaceable and I pretend to love.  I am decoration, property and status.  I provide comfort, a false sense of security - my ownership could change at any time.  The life growing inside me is but a distraction from my captivity.  If it be a girl and I could submit but one plea to the faerie folk, it would be that she spend all her days in an ivory tower, protected by a dragon that no handsome prince can defeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment