Thursday 10 January 2013

THE HORRIBLE THING IN THE TOILETS AT WORK



“Boss, you gotta believe me.  I was in the middle cubicle, all the other toilets were empty.  I’d sat down and I couldn’t get away.  That’s when I heard it breathing, a horrible rasping noise, sibilant and cold.  It told me I deserved to be destroyed, but first it was going to take everyone else.

“First I doubted, then people started to disappear.  Abdul went to the loo in the middle of a meeting and didn’t return.  “Abdul’s taking ages,” I stated.
“Abdul who?” you asked.
“The guy who’s perpetually on his phone during presentations.”
Everyone looked at me blankly; “There is no Abdul here,” you said, shortly.

“Next was Sam, the receptionist.  She knew Abdul.  I was about to tell her the Thing in the bogs got him, but she said ‘Just a minute, got to make a visit’ and she didn’t come back.  What do you mean there’s no receptionist?  There’s a reception here isn’t there?  There were more disappearances – Kyle, John, Andy, Jen ...  I can’t understand why you’re shaking your head.

“Tell me you recall Mary, my best mate.  I wouldn’t let her go to the loo alone, I told her about the Thing and she nodded in that understanding way of hers and asked me what it thought I’d done.  Of course I couldn’t tell her.  We went to the ladies together, me into the middle cubicle, she into the end.  Then I heard it, that raspy growl – in ... out ... in ... out.  I shat myself, quite convenient considering where I was.  I shouted a warning, but ... silence, the Thing had gone.  I thought maybe Mary got out, but there was no sign of her in the office.  I asked you and you wore the blank look you’re giving me now; “Mary who?” you said.  That’s when you asked me if I was stressed.  “I’m seeing the on-site counsellor,” I answered.
You replied; “There's no counsellor here.” 
I knew then it’d gotten Carly, the only person I could speak to. I was going to warn her about the Thing, but I just didn’t.

“Stop looking at me like that, I’m not insane!  There’s a Thing in the toilets that’s killing everyone!  It’s saving me til last - you know like the best bit of dessert for the last mouthful.  Please believe me!  No, I can’t tell you why.  I can’t tell anyone!  Look, think about this rationally!  This is a huge building, a massive organisation and there’s just two of us here, working on a project designed for heaps of people to do!  Put it together – empty reception, empty corridors, empty offices!  What do you think’s happened?  What do you mean you’ve got to make a phone call?  Wait a minute, where are you going first?  Don’t go to the toilet!  Oh God!  Please!”

Well, she’s gone in there, hasn’t she?  I’m left alone in this open plan office, I can hear it now, I think it’s got into the air conditioning vents.  Perhaps it’ll find its way under my desk, slither up my chair ... I’m pretty certain it’s invisible.  Well, at least no-one knows what it is and why it’s here.  I do.  Maybe I should just leave the office.  Thing is, gotta pay the bills, haven’t I?  I wonder if it got everyone in payroll ... I'm confronting it.  I've got some bleach, that’ll kill any nasty unclean Thing and I’ve got a plunger.  I’m going to lure it back to its territory.  I'm going to the loo - I might be some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment