Sunday 24 November 2013

THE ACTOR AND I

Take a bow.  The show is over.  I retreat in triumphant, but exhausted reflection.  I am safe, they can’t see past the actor.

The performance means more these days, as the reward is greater.  It’s not the same old tired audience as before, but a new larger one.  Fresh eyes are upon me and I am weighing them up, finding out what they need and adapting to suit, pulling more and more out of the bag.  I once thought that being myself would make me happy, but I’ve realised I thrive on living through an act, remaining ever a stranger and letting no-one in.

The audience is everywhere, at work, at play and at home.  I am driven ever further into my shell, forcing me to make my isolation a more comfortable place, a welcome respite at the end of the play.  Doing this has been worthwhile, I used to despise the actor, but now she retreats and rests with me.  I give her instructions for her next part and she does her best.  Sometimes the mask slips, but that’s fine.  The audience appreciates a bit of vulnerability, a mistake or two, it’s OK to fuck up.  This is a more accepting crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment