Sunday 27 December 2020

THE RISK

 
I have adhered to the rules until now. I’ve done what others have, made my home beautiful and stayed in it. I was happy in my obedience, but then I saw you. You had the same government sanctioned exercise slot as me and we jogged alongside each other, two metres apart. Even though it is not permitted, our eyes met as we passed under the cherry tree. I put it out of my mind.
You were there again the next day and I ignored you because talking is forbidden. You ran a little ahead of me and I saw you tack paper to the cherry tree, as I passed I tore it off and put it in my pocket. When I got home I read your note. It had your phone number on it. We began texting on the encrypted service. I told you about the colour scheme in my home, you told me about the furniture in yours. We talked about our jobs and the supermarket delivery service. Not much to say, every day is the same here but when you described your cosy sofa you made me feel like I was sitting with you on it, my head on your shoulder. The isolation receded and I was dizzy with happiness.
The next day I didn’t see you on my run, until I reached the cherry tree, you were standing beneath it, pretending to take a breather, but your eyes were on me as I ran. You stretched out your hand and for a second I brushed it with my fingers. I couldn’t stay home that night, the four walls could not hold me, I needed space. When darkness fell, even though it is not permitted, I went out. I ran to the cherry tree and touched the bark that you had touched when you tacked your note on it. I was about to go straight back to the safety of my home and forget this, when suddenly you were under the tree with me. We laughed at each other. Keeping two metres apart, we talked, hearing each other’s voices for the first time. We discussed the crisis, where we had been when it had started and how we coped with the isolation. Then we talked about the times before, when you could go somewhere and get to know someone, when we were free. We knew we had little time before we were discovered and that we should be heading back, but you suddenly said; “Will you take a risk for me? I want to touch you.”
I looked around, there was no-one. I gazed at your face, then glanced up at the tree above us and the stars in the sky. I closed the gap, step by step. Then I was in your arms, my lips grazing your cheek.
We stayed like that even when we heard the shouts and the running feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment